Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Convenient unless you're a cheapskate

I owe Kohl's an apology. Before we went there to find Regis a new coat for work, I pulled an old pair of shoes out of storage and slipped them on. While Rege and Abby perused the menswear section, I strolled with Evangeline through the shoe section, looking for some cute winter shoes. Regis called me over a couple of times to ask my opinion. On my way back from one of these viewings, I noticed what looked like dirt on the floor. "How rude," I thought, "someone is tracking a lot of dirt all through the store." Oddly enough, I kept seeing more and more of it. And looking behind me, it seemed to be following me. I pulled my foot up to see if my shoes were somehow dirty--and discovered that they were disintegrating. Observe:Poor shoes. Doesn't it seem like Fate was trying to hand me a free pass? Especially since Regis said, "Do you want to just buy some new ones so you don't have to walk around in those anymore?" But I am a disgusting cheapskate and instead walked all around the store and ended up buying not shoes for me, but pants for my daughters. I left a Hansel-and-Gretel style trail all through Kohl's, and no joke, the cleaning lady passed by me going back towards the shoe section. The rest of the time she must have followed me at a discreet distance. I feel bad. Because I liked those shoes.

2 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

i have clothes like that too. it drives my mother in law crazy. one time i couldn't find my regular flip flops, so i wore the back up pair of flip flops which are back ups because they are cute and not comfy and she just about threw me a party for getting rid of the ugly flip flops. . .until i informed her that i had only lost the ugly ones and would be wearing them just as soon as i discovered where i'd put them last.

also, i love it when i look down on an unknown rude person and i end up being the unknown rude person.

Brook said...

So funny!! I went to DSW yesterday and bought a whole bunch of unexciting work shoes. But it was awfully fun. I've never owned this many pairs of shoes in my life!