Friday, October 26, 2007

Heartbreak Hotel

I'm down at the edge of Lonely Street . . .

Okay, so after I decided on that title for this post, I realized it doesn't work: my baby didn't leave me, my hubby did. But don't worry, he's coming back. Tonight, in fact. Me and Bucket have been . . . well, frankly, we've been doing what we do most days. I just haven't been able to look forward to Napoleon coming home in the evenings. He's been off in North Carolina at a job interview, being wined and dined (or at least the latter) by a big financial company. I've been reading up on the area, since we might actually be moving there soon.

It didn't occur to me for an embarrassingly long time that North Carolina is in the South, very much so. And by South (with a capital s) I mean the seceding, grit-eatin' part, which to my mind does not include Florida. When it finally came to me, I thought "Holy cow, can I live in the South?" But within a few days I'd convinced myself that the South can't be all THAT different.

Enter the internet.

Yikes. Apparently there's this big North v. South feeling in North Carolina. Have you heard of the War of Northern Aggression? Yeah, apparently they're still not over that. Except now, instead of "You jerks, you're trying to take away our slaves and our states rights," it's "You jerks, you're bringing your rude Northern ways (which apparently include cell phones and yelling at your kids--who knew?) into our sweet Southern hospitable realm and jacking up the price of housing." Um, wow. So now I'm wondering if there's some big East v. West feeling as well. I'm from California originally, and I love the western part of the U.S. I've always described the east as a "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." Are they going to hate me?

The thing is, I probably wouldn't know it if they did. I didn't even know there was a big rivalry between southern California and northern California until I came to BYU. Ha! And I think it's ridiculous.

3 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

I didn't know any of the things you blogged about just now. really? the south still have a thing against the north? because that was a long time ago. and really? only northerners yell at their kids and use cell phones?
north carolina? when will you know if you're moving and when will you move? is it cold in north carolina?

Crystal said...

I was really surprised to read some of the things these people had to say about northerners. It was pretty weird. If we actually go there, I'll have to let you know what the reality is. I mean, let ya'll know. :)

We won't know if we've even got the option to move there until Regis hears from the company he interviewed with, and then we won't know if we're moving there until we decide if he really wants to work there. The average high in winter in NC is 51 degrees, so not bad. The summer high averages around 90. So the weather there is more my style than Utah, except that it gets really humid. Not sure how I'd handle that.

Darth Glader said...

Sorry - it gets really humid. And, it occasionally snows. But, it is gorgeous. The trees are so thick it is like driving through a tunnel.