Monday, August 18, 2008

when I was your age, television was called 'books'

I don't have a tv.

I haven't been watching the Olympics.
I'm not familiar with American Idol.
I've never seen So You Think You Can Dance.

But I do have a favorite tv show.

If I had a tv, I would watch these guys:
It's partly because they're funny, and partly because I love the space between Jemaine's front teeth. And partly because they remind me of every Kiwi I've ever met.

If you want to feel like you're in New Zealand, take the following steps:

  • Remove all insulation from your house.
  • Eat muesli for breakfast.
  • Eat lamb for lunch and dinner, with a side of Marmite (not Vegemite; that's Australian).
  • Buy yourself some Milo and Tim Tams and do some Tim Tam slams!
  • Kiss everyone you meet on the cheek as a greeting.
  • Watch some Flight of the Conchords on YouTube. I recommend "Mermaids" and "Jenny."

2 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

i like how jermaine's name in "new zealandian" is "jeh-mane". it sounds "bittah" that way.

jenny is also my favorite. i love so many parts of that song that i wish we were together in person and could remember them together. i think i'll save it for when i see you in september/october.

Crystal said...

Oddly enough, it's actually spelled "Jemaine", without the r. I can't help but wonder if his parents had only heard it, never seen it . . . or are they trying to force their "New Zealandian" pronunciation on us all? Conspiracy!

And I will love you forever, Miriam, if for no other reason than that you introduced me to "Jenny." :)