Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Scaling back

I don't know why, but Regis always feels like he has to argue with me about buying butter.

Yesterday I said, "Oooo, butter is $1.79! Let's get some. Write it on the list."
He says, "You do realize that we already have a ton of butter?"
I say, "That's just silly. Our whole fridge/freezer setup doesn't weigh a ton. It doesn't even weigh half a ton."

And then we carried on for about ten minutes trying to decide what fraction of a ton our fridge weighs, based on my belief that I could move it myself if I had to.

Isn't marriage fun?

3 comments:

Megan said...

This reminds me of the conversations I have with Spencer where I say somethings is a "butt load" to which he always replies, "how much is that exactly?" Well, while listening to NPR the other day (yes we are nerds), we discovered that a butt load is a liquid measurement equalling about 450 gallons. :)

Miriam Herm said...

ryan argues with me about everything i want to buy. he's just so skeptical! i think it's because i am too happy about buying something and that means i'm not fully in control of the situation which means i might come home with a "butt load". shopping, for ryan, is a grim endeavor.

Crystal said...

Um, Megan, do I want to know how they arrived at that specific number?

Regis is generally very nice about letting me buy things I want. I have a much harder time justifying purchases when he's not there to approve them, even when it's something like clothes for me. However, he HATES shopping, especially for clothes, so I end up feeling really guilty either way. This is partly why I will never be on anyone's Best Dressed list; the other part is that I have no fashion sense. :)