Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Grrrr

I love to read books. Fiction books, and mysteries in particular are my favorites.

I HATE reading books in which the main character or characters are stupid.

For example, there is a series in which the protagonist, Sebastian St. Cyr, is supposed to be this brilliant detective. His lover, an actress, is also supposed to be clever. Despite the author's continual harping on the facts that Sebastian has strange eyes, that his "father" has never liked him, and that his mother was notoriously promiscuous, the detective and his honey somehow don't realize (presumably until the last book, which I haven't read) that Sebastian is a bastard child, which forces them to part because Kat turns out to be the child of his "father." This would be tragic, if I wasn't so disgusted with their stupidity that I didn't care what happened to either of them anymore. The real tragedy is that I can't bring myself to finish the series, which leaves me feeling slightly guilty.

I've always liked The Scarlet Pimpernel, although recently I've noticed how cheesy parts of it are. I guess a lot of things I like are cheesy, like nachos. But right now I'm reading El Dorado, a further adventure of the Pimpernel, which has precipitated this rant. Armand is an idiot. The plot of this book better be darn good, because the main character is irritating the heck out of me.

2 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

i had this problem when i re-read the scarlet pimpernel. i realized how lame it was. it was tragic. try reading the adventures of huckleberry fnn. i'm re-reading it and i haven't been able to stop laughing. (warning: it may not be that funny. i've been reading the most hilarious parts to ryan and he hasn't done anything more than crack a polite smile. it is not convincing).

Unknown said...

Last week I tried reading Steven's current junk novel, Macau. I could put it down. What I couldn't do was believe how incredibly stupid it was. Some guy really thought that was worth publishing? And his publisher believed him?

I had to read The Great Gatsby again to get the taste out of my brain.