Monday, September 10, 2007

Sniff sniff

I smell like baby.

Naturally, I've been reading lots of stuff on kids recently. What do you think of piercing babies' ears?

I think it's sick. I understand that it's "cultural" in some places. So is infant genital mutilation. In fact, that kind of amounts to the same thing: you are inflicting pain and a permanent physical mark on a child because you think they should look a certain way. Makes sense? No.

I'm not opposed to pierced ears. Mine are pierced. I chose to have them pierced, when I was about 10. I'm opposed to hurting kids for stupid reasons.

3 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

hear hear!

my least favorite part of piercing a baby's ears is when people think it is so great and act like you're weird for thinking it's not great.

Crystal said...

Yeah. There was a little girl in church on Sunday with her ears pierced, and I overheard her mom say, "I've always wanted to pierce my little girl's ears." Um, why?

Amber said...

People have asked me if I'm going to pierce Olivia's ears - apparently, without looking at mine. Why would I decide on something so permanent - and painful - for my child who is only going to be subjected to my fashion sense for a few years?

Plus, they're choking hazards for babies.

Plus, I think her ears are absolutely perfect, and really don't need embellishment.

Plus, even if she does eventually decide that she wants pierced ears, there's no real benefit of her having them pierced sooner rather than later.