Friday, July 20, 2007

Locked and Loaded

Now that I've discovered that someone actually reads my blog, it's much more fun to write in it. (Hi Miriam!) Tee hee. It also helps that I've quit my job and am sitting at home with nothing much to do but wait for the killer contractions to set in. Speaking of contractions . . .

Napoleon did something really good at his job last month, so his boss gave him a nifty bonus: "go take your wife to a nice restaurant, and I'll foot the bill up to $50." Eeeexcellent. The sad thing is, we had to do some serious thinking about how to spend that much. :) We ended up going to Chili's and getting drinks and appetizers, which we NEVER do, along with nice expensive entrees, and a dessert! Yee-ha, livin' the high life. My lower abdomen had been hurting all afternoon, but figured it was just a normal pregnancy symptom. We gobbled our yum-yum-yummy dinner, or rather, what we could of it: we ended up taking home four boxes, including the entire dessert. (I used to not be a fan of buying dessert at restaurants, since it always seems so expensive. But the last two times I've gotten it, the desserts have been HUGE and really really yummy! Plus, Chili's packed all the parts separately, which meant we assembled the dessert at home later so it wasn't all mushy and mixed together. I'm converted.)

So we headed home in our jolly, stuffed state. I don't remember what else we did that evening, probably because I developed a fever and chills, and basically felt like I had the flu. I know we went to the grocery store and the pharmacy, because we came home with a (pretty nifty) thermometer and found out I had a fever of 100.3 degrees. Yick. I was sent to get ready for bed, which, unfortunately, includes brushing my teeth. I should've known better. Goodbye, Chili's. I love my Napoleon. He insisted on doing the cleanup.

I slept probably a total of 3 hours that night, in 10 minute spurts. Ahhh, so restful. Napoleon went to work, and when he came home and found out I felt no better, he prodded me into calling the doctor, who told me to go to Labor and Delivery. Apparently, "constant lower abdominal pain and flu symptoms" is also known as "periodic contractions and labor symptoms." Oh. Good to know. They hooked me up to the contraction-and-fetus-monitoring-machine (which I would like to have one of at home), and when I could see the contractions on the screen, it was a lot easier to tell that the pain really was coming and going. Every 2-4 minutes. The kept me there for an hour, then booted me out and told me to come back when my contractions hurt too much to talk through. But first, they offered me morphine. Heh heh heh. Um, no thanks--I think I'll wait for the heavy-duty drugs until these contractions actually hurt. How's that sound?

So that's why I'm sitting at home, trying to figure out how to rearrange our stuff so that we can fit in the baby's stuff and the baby. My baby shower is set for Saturday, so I'm also trying to get the baby to agree to wait until at least then to make her first appearance. My parents are trying to get me to tell her to wait for another week, since they're on vacation all over the East and having fun. Napoleon is telling her to hurry and come out, because he's ready to hold the baby. I think I'll stick with Saturday. :)

5 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

a word of warning: if I waited until the contractions hurt too much to talk through, I would have had Ava on the side of the freeway. The contractions weren't that bad until the "transition" period.
I hope you're having that baby! Ryan and I are coming out the 3rd and staying through the 8th and a glimpse of your baby (even through your living room window, which I will resort to if necessary) is what I have been talking about the most.
Good luck birthing your live young, you mammal!

Darth Glader said...

Hope you go into labor soon!

Crystal said...

I'm doing my best, Glade. Not that there's a lot I can do. :)

Ooo, thanks for the warning, Miriam. Hmm. Am I supposed to go by timing, then? All this baby stuff is so complicated.

It's a good thing you're trying through the living room window, because if you try the baby's room, you won't see anything but stuff! I never realized babies came so accessorized. :) But hooray, what good timing for you to come!

Randi said...

Just dropping by to "meet" you after your funny comments on my blog!

I'm sure you'll post and let us know how everything goes....
You'll do great.
And my advice is if you're considering painkillers, take them when they offer them. Sometimes after you decide you finally want them, they tell you it's too late.

Heather said...

SERIOUSLY I love Chili's. Unfortunately there isn't one around for, oh I don't know... 600 miles??

Good luck with Labor!!